HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Aitkin County Minnesota
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 04:46 PM
sconnyhunter
Nontypical Buck

There is a fair amount of public land. Much of it is hidden (not well marked), meaning you NEED to get a GOOD map of the area.

But, I caution you now.
Aitkin county is the epitome of north woods BIG WOODS hunting. There are tracts of public land that stretch for miles in any direction. The only reason you know you have neighbors is the mail box on the road. Even though their house might only be 100' off the road.

I'm not kidding when I tell you.
We had a doe several years ago, not 30 yards in front of us (3 guys, myself, my dad and out hunting partner). We did not have a shot, we couldn't see enough of her to get a good shot. And thinking about it now, I'm not 100% sure it was a doe. The bucks up here are called basket racks, because they look like basket ball hoops. Even the field fed deer don't get very big. We just don't have the genetics or food to produce BIG bucks.

Much of the county is also swampy, think of dog hair and you get an idea how thick most of it is. Don't get me wrong I love hunting here, there is lots of Grouse, Deer, Bears, Rabbits, Ducks.
And home to some of the best, hands down, fishing lakes in the upper midwest. You'll enjoy being here.

If the claustrophobia don't get you first.

Last edited by sconnyhunter; 02-21-2017 at 04:51 PM.