HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do you honor a lost hunting buddy?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 03:19 AM
alleyyooper
Nontypical Buck

Talking

My dad requested all his sons[2] and daughters [3] to come to his home on a weekend in March 2003. At that time he handed out all his hunting and fishing equipment to sons daughters nieces [2] and nephew [1]

I was given back the Ruger 77-243 I had given him for his 60th birthday. I took it up to my deer camp that year to hunt with. Finally on the second to last day of the season I shot a nice buck with it on the beach of Big Bay DeNoc.

I think dad had only shot a couple spikes with that rifle with hand loads I loaded for him. I had stopped deer hunting with him Nov. 1991
I wrote a story about that sent it to Michigan Out of Doors magazine. They bought the story and did publish it after dad had passed. He passed away June 2004, Story was in the Nov 2004 issue to late for him to read Like I had wanted so he didn't get to read it.
Moral of that is to do it today don't wait because you never know when you ride is over.

Had 6 special friends who hunted the UP with me. I am the last remaining one. As they passed we always toasted them the night before opening day and told stories about them while they were with us. Now I have no one to tell the stories to but can still do the toast every Nov 14th.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 02-13-2017 at 03:22 AM.