HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - mule deer newbie
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2017, 05:55 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

A 160 class buck can be taken just about anywhere good numbers of mulies exist but they aren't just standing next to the road waiting to get popped. If you want to hunt public land for them you're going to have to get off the beaten path and that means getting away from the roads. Northwest CO and central CO have a lot of public land, a lot of mulies and a lot of good mulies. Any area there could be good.

There is a Division of Wildlife office in Craig, CO, one in Grand Junction, CO, one in Glenwood Springs, CO and one in Hot Sulpher Springs, Co. My suggestion is to contact all of them and ask to get the contact info for the main deer guy. Most of these guys/gals are really friendly, know the areas they are responsible for and want to see hunters be successful. Point in fact many many years ago I lived in Glenwood Springs and I did just that. They pointed me to a guy named John Broderick (now deceased) and he tolf me to bring topo maps of the area I wanted to hunt and to meet him for coffee. Over a couple of cups be showed me where on the maps the best chances would be to take a good buck. These folks are a wealth of knowledge.

Another thing to consider is the plains. There are some great deer on the plains of CO but most of that land is private and most of that is leased. But there is some pockets of really productive public land if you know where to look. CO has thousands of acres of State Trust Lands open to the public for hunting and Yuma County CO alone has more than 7000 acres, all of which you can hunt and all of which has mulies, whitetails and a few hybrids.