HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Greenswamp wma hunters
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 09:45 AM
VonSchmitto
Spike

Default My first post and initial impressions of GS WMA.

Hello All!
I grew up outside of and hunted Eglin but haven't hunted in Florida for about 20 years (kids, job, responsible adult things - yuck) but have decided to hit it again.
Made my first scout trip to GS yesterday, mostly driving just to get the overall lay of the land but some extended walks. First place I walked (levee road south of main grade) I heard 2 toms gobbling and I thought that was promising. I applied for spring camping so I'm going to explore there more in case I get a draw. I was really surprised how dry it was. I live in Wesley Chapel so I know it hasn't rained much at all but was wondering if it's normally this dry in Winter? I scouted around the Oak stands on three-run grade and that had the "look" to me but that's just based on hunting in NW Florida. Something I noticed that seemed odd to me was that of the 30 or so parked vehicles I saw the big majority of them were on the main between Powder grade and Tillman Lake. Is it really better around there are is it just convenient being close to the Rock Ridge entrance? All in all, it looks to me like if someone is willing to put in the work, this could be a really good place.

Last edited by VonSchmitto; 01-16-2017 at 09:52 AM.