HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Problem Hunter in Quality Deer Managment
Old 01-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Jack Ryan
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by wahoohunter
I hunt at a small hunting camp where only 4 people (myself, my father, brother and cousin) hunt each year. We "own" about 250 acres so there is plenty of land for us to practice QDM and we have even spoken with the landowners around us too and they have agreed to not harvesting deer unless they are atleast 8 pointers and over 3.5 years old to the best of their knowledge, so we feel we have a good thing going here.

Here in lies the proble, I put "own" in quotations because the land is actually owned by my grandmother. Myself, Dad and brother live on the land, maintain our 3 food plots, keep the field brush hogged and take care of all the land. Well, this is the first year we have been really really serious about our QDM and not harvesting any smaller deer. We sent out a newsletter to all of our family explaining what we were doing and wanted to accomplish. My grandmother took great offense to this saying that on her command our cousin would kill any deer that he saw be it a four pointer, spike or whatever. She beleives that the sport is in killing the animal regardless of size.

I was just wondering what you all though as to how to handle a situation like this. My brother, father and I have put in hours of work maintaining our land and impriving our deer herd and its just hard to swallow someone wanting to kill something so badly that they can not adhere to guidlines (guidlines which I believe to be pretty lenient anyways). My cousin is 21 years old, if he were 10 it may be different because then you want to turn a person on to hunting. For me, however, if someone is kill happy that they do not care what they shoot, they do not deserve to be in the woods and give good hunters a bad name. Theres so much more to hunting than the kill, its about camaraderie and enjoying God's creation.

I just thought I'd post on here to see what you all recommened and if you've ever had to deal with a situation like this. Please respond!
That's the difference between "I own it." and "we "own" it". It's part of living on someone else's land.