HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who belongs to a lease/Group owned property?
Old 12-27-2016, 11:18 AM
rockport
Nontypical Buck

Alright, here is what I do.

The concerns in this thread are kind of how I am able to do it.

I grew up in Pike Co IL(live a couple hours south now) Ive been ask to outfit for years and always turned it down because well I don't like it. I don't see a path to being honest, and providing a quality experience to enough people to stay in business. You can't outbid outfitters that are willing to sell BS and truck in and out as many hunters as they can book rather than how many the deer and land can offer a quality experience to. I refuse to do that.

A few years ago I was offered a deal from a long time buddy and farmer to lease the hunting rights to his land at a rate where I can make money AND actually deliver an honest quality hunting. He was done dealing with hunters and outfitters.

I took over and now manage farms in 3 different counties in IL...Pike,Scott,and Adams.

I have rules and simply take on costumers that not only agree to follow my rules but agree with my rules. They are happy to find an opportunity where these rules are in place. I'm certainly not getting rich but I do have a growing waiting list and have worked with a lot of great people.

About a year and a half ago my buddy the farmer was diagnosed with a brain tumor and passed away in early December at 38 years old. Right now I just don't know what the future holds.

Any way we have had good luck with people getting along,following the rules, and doing things the right way but the demand has been high enough to choose like minded hunters that are all on the same page.

I tell all my guys how it all works, they know how much I pay, they know how much I make off of them, and they know how it has to be done if it is to continue and the question I'm ask the most is "can I sign up for longer?"

You have to have good people or it won't work.