HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Last Hunt Buck
Thread: Last Hunt Buck
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 08:57 AM
ipscshooter
Boone & Crockett

Default Last Hunt Buck

Had a really good year this year going into what was to be our last weekend at the ranch for the season. 4 turkeys. 2 hogs. Saw beautiful sunrises and sunsets, and lots of deer, but the lease rules say try and take only deer that are 4 1/2 or older, and I hadn't see anything that fit the bill.

Saturday, 12/17 was a really nice day in the Texas Hill Country, 70+ degrees, t-shirt weather, all day long. Saw about 15 deer, but no "shooters." Right at the end of the evening hunt, a stiff wind came from the north and a cold front blew in. By the time we were ready to go out for the morning hunt on Sunday, it was 18 degrees. Sat the same stand on Sunday morning, saw the same deer, and expected to be shut out on deer for the season because I had ridden to the ranch with a buddy and he had indicated that we'd probably head home after the morning hunt, which I was OK with because it was freaking cold outside.

But, because it was to be our last hunt for the year, he changed his mind and decided to stay for the evening. I thought about staying in our nice, warm bunkhouse and watching a football game or something, but decided I would go back out for the evening hunt. One of the other guys had wounded and lost a buck at a different stand on Saturday. He had to leave, so I decided to sit in that blind for the evening, hoping the injured buck would show up. He never did, so I sat and watched a number of other young bucks and a couple does

At around 4:45, they all looked up and then took off running. I wondered what they had seen that spooked them, and then a very nice 9 Point strutted into the field. After 12 years hunting at this lease, I knew right away that he was a "good buck." So, I grabbed my Remmy 700 7mm-08, lined his shoulder up in the crosshairs, and squeezed. At the shot, he took off running and I had that immediate "oh crap, I missed" feeling. Waited about 15 minutes and got out of the blind to check the area where he was standing and found a chunk of meat and a big spray of bright red blood. He left a trail of sprays for about 40 yards. Found him piled up in a mesquite thicket.

Also, learned a valuable lesson when I got back to camp... When you pull a buck out of the back of your Ranger, grab by antlers and pull. I made the mistake of pulling him out by the back legs and broke his right G3 when his head hit the ground. Fortunately, the taxidermist will be able to put it back together.
Attached Images   

Last edited by ipscshooter; 12-20-2016 at 09:06 AM.