HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - North Alabama drought
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 02:02 PM
North Texan
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes the best thing to do is try to sit back and wait it out. It can be the most economical option, for sure. If it hasn't rained and the seed hasn't germinated, there's still a chance you could get a decent stand. Regardless, I'd wait on a rain and see what happens before doing anything else.

Oats would work, but you have to be careful on variety selection, among other things, at this time of year. Oats are less freeze hardy than wheat, barley, and rye. In a drought, something to consider is you will have more daily temperature fluctuations than you would if you had some moisture in the air and on the ground. If you could find a good beardless winter wheat, you might try that. In a drought, nothing is a guarantee, but winter wheat is pretty hardy and the deer like it. I would stay away from rye. Some people plant it as a food plot, but my experience has been if there are any oats or wheat in an area, they will not touch the rye. And not sure why, but they have to get real desperate to touch barley.

Wish the wild hogs were that picky, then I could plant something they'd stay out of.