HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bad shot or bad luck?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2016, 07:35 AM
IndianaBigBucks
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Ahhh Jake Jake Jake Bad shot as well as bad equipment choice. Had you been using a good cut on impact solid fixed you probably would have had you a dead deer even with a shoulder bone hit. It takes a good bit of energy to open those blades and with that bone hit, you were trying to push a LOT of blade through bone. Not very likely! I can see the attraction to those overly long blades on mechanical heads but there are some drawbacks to them as you discovered the hard way. Next season, get yourself some fixed blades such as the Slick Trick X-Bow and maybe go up to 125 grain for penetration.

Now granted you should avoid shoulder bone with archery equipment but everyone goofs! Best to have equipment that will help you WHEN (and I say when not IF because it happens) you goof!

Fixed blades don't fail to open. I want a bone crushing broadhead when I make that bad shot. Grim reapers are nice broadheads. I watched a video of Grim Reaper Carnifour went through to the fletching on a scapula of a steer. Granted the broadheads that were shot was only shot out from 10 yards but only one or two went through. It did break a blade off the Grim Reaper, but it was impressive. Only thing is the blades could very well not open at all.