HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I've lost zeal
Thread: I've lost zeal
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 04:21 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

I pass on a lot of shots. I kind of figure I've had my share and let them go for the next guy or gal.

My favorite time of the hunt is the end anymore, I go for a walk, make a wide circle, check the tracks of what has been around and figure in my mind where they are likely to be the next time out. In other words, I get more satisfaction out of playing the game than making the shot anymore.

Then every once in awhile something happens that stays with you the rest of your life. I set up on a hill, a saddle, where the Hogs cross over from one food source to another. Put out a couple of handfuls of Corn so they'd stop and I'd get a better shot. A Badger showed up with her two almost grown pups, they started eating the Corn. Sounder of Hogs shows up, maybe seven. I watched them face off for the longest time, half an hour, seemed longer. Mama Badger and the Pups backed down seven Hogs. My guess is those Hogs had a run in with those badgers before and where keeping their distance. Still makes me smile thinking about it.

Don't know why exactly, but I found that really neat. I didn't shoot anything.