HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 308?
Thread: 308?
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 05:35 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I don't believe he was asking his question about hunting. He only was looking for info such as would come from a ballistic chart.
Ballistic charts are an indicator of what is likely to happen, not definitive.

The only real way to know, is to get good enough to shoot some decent groups and try your specific rifle at various ranges.

The scope (line of sight) is normally above the barrel (line of flight). Depending on the rifle, mount and scope diameter, the geometry can change some. Different ammo brands, barrel length, different bullet weights and even outside ambient temperature is going to cause some deviation from the ballistic charts.

Like I said, the only way to know for sure is to keep a shooting book, put in the range time and figure out what your rifle does at different ranges.

I eventually figured out when it gets seriously cold out, my point of impact at moderate ranges actually went up and not down like I assumed. One rifle I have, the point of impact, at moderate ranges, would rise as the barrel heated.

First step is to get enough consistency in your shooting, to shoot some decent groups (MOA or less). Keep a shooting book so you can get an idea of what to expect the next time out.