HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 308?
Thread: 308?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 09:12 PM
uncle matt
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
uhhh what? A group isn't the position on the target, it is the average distance from each other in a multiple shoot. Like 5 rounds, how close are they to each other. Now as to your question, I think you are looking for POI (point of impact) answers. I think those American Whitetail from Hornady are loaded with the 150gr Interlocks. I know the .243 is.

If you have your rifle zeroed at 100 (that means dead on bullseye) then you will be approximately 2 inches low at 200 and around 10.5-11 inches low at 300. That's based on if you have a 24 inch barrel. It could be a bit different than the book speeds. But I'll be honest with you on something, if you have no clue where your rifle will hit at a certain range, then you have absolutely NO business shooting at live game at that range. A rifle isn't some magical tool that will automatically make the kill shot for you. There are a lot of variables to shooting live game in the field. If you have only shot that rifle once before, then you really need to be hitting the range and practice shooting under field conditions at ranges that you think you may encounter game. Our whitetail deserve nothing short of our best effort to harvest them cleanly and as quickly as possible. I'm not trying to be a A Hole here, just an advocate for ethical hunting practices by everyone out there.
I wholeheartedly agree.