HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shot Placement at Close Range
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 08:25 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Like the guys said, go for the high percentage shot, heart-lungs. But remember their heart is lower in their chest than most people think. The shoulder slants top to the rear, the heart is low and almost above the front leg. A little below the center line and nearly under the shoulder bone will put them in a pile most times.

With a high speed rifle cartridge above 2600 FPS or so, you really don't need to cut the backbone with a neck shot. Under the backbone are numerous large arteries. The shock drops them and they bleed out before the shock wears off and they can get back up again. Most times they go down in a pile, take a few breaths and expire.

I'd guess maybe 30% of my shots are neck shots. Near the property line, in a place where they may bolt across a road or into housing. I wait for the perfect shot, head down feeding, center of neck maybe 4-8 inches from the base of the neck. I've never had one take another step with this shot. If anybody tries it and has any different results please PM me.

One reason I like the neck shot is they rarely have an Adrenalin dump. I can taste it when they die hard. Funny but in my experience many women like Adrenalin (hormone) soaked meat. I like my Deer young and don't especially like Adrenaline (hormone) soaked meat.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 10-14-2016 at 08:36 AM.