HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - which bullet for whitetail
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 01:55 PM
BarnesAddict
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zmason1002
I've been reading and watching you guys on bullets. When I first bought my Mountaineer I bought some bullets and stuff but have only shot about 20 rnds using 3 different bullets. I bought a box of:

Hornady FTX 225 Grain and I have the TC yellow sabots. I mainly got those for just messing around.

Hornady SST 300 grains with the supplied sabot.

Hornady XTP 240 grains with supplied sabot.

my questions are.

Is there much of a difference between the sabots? should I buy harvesters or use the supplied?

Which of those three would you take hunting?? which ever one shoots best?

How tight do you seat the bullet on the powder?

I'm shooting BH209 at 75 grains in weight, I think I'm going to start volume measuring since its faster. I also have 777 fffg powder I can use also. I don't need a tack drive (would be nice) but I want something better than my shotgun.
Myself, I prefer bullets of at least 250grs, so of your choices, the 300gr SST. The Harvester H5045LB with that bullet is what I shoot currently. Your rifle may differ.

Repeatable accuracy for groups does matter. It builds confidence. A good thing.

As far as the BH, hands down I would prefer that over T7. However again, that's me.

Unless shooting pellets, where you don't want to crush them, I've always seated bullets HARD on BH. Two handed hard and with a "thump". I seated the bullet in an extremely accurate Pro Hunter at 106# average, measured with a force gauge.

Just get out and keep shoot'n. It builds confidence