HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Groundhog Max ATV Disc Question
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 01:49 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

here is a an example of the difference in an atv VS a tractor this was done to PROVE it COULD be done, and I would never do it on a regular basic
this is a 1999 honda 400 foreman, I have owned it since new and have done MANY small food plots with it
I started this plot with about a ft of grass, sprayed it down with roundup and then using an ATV disc, 3 ft wide had at it, its about 2 acres in all
and the bet was I could do all 2 acres with JUST my ATV
this was a site that had a plot put in every yr or other yr, of clover or turnips or beans or corn or rye grass
it had rye grass this yr, I did this!
there was again a 1 of dead grass on top and its a rather rocky HARD soil plot!, with a slight hill to it
it took me a little over, (forget exact number)
about 50 plus hrs of seat time to prep it to this condition!,, spraying with atv, disc-ing with atv and rolling with atv using a 10 ft wide cultipacker
it beat the snot out of the atv, had to stop MANY times to allow it to cool and I am sure took a lot of wear and tear on it
I changed the oil before and AFTER, running Amsoil in it(since new too!)

NOW I could normally plant this field with a smaller older tractor(see pic) a small old 1948 model H, about 20 hp, BUT It weights over 3600 lbs, so its geared LOW and will out work a 100 hp atv without breaking a sweat!
I sold this tractor for $1500.00 and the wide front end brings a premium and this one was a cream puff LOL low hrs and garage kept since new, I got off original owner
BUT again they can be had, seen many go for about 750-1,000 bucks!
I can plant this field in about 8 hrs of seat time in all
as to 50+ on an ATV, and NOT again beat the snot out of the atv
so YES an ATV can do it
the type of soil will make a BIG difference in seat time and abuse to the atv, as will what implements you pull behind it
we have about 15 different type of atv's at my hunting camp, and have seen from 400's to 850's being used to pull a disc and other ATV implements, and NONE will do the work of this OLD 1948 tractor and many cost closer to 10k, than the 1500 I sol;d this one for??
at atv has a LOT of uses all yr, so I get the wanting one, and agree there worth the price for SOME< (cannot justify the costs of some of the higher ends one at all, can buy a jeeps LOL)
but if you can swing 8k for an atv, be smart, buy a used tractor and an ATV of a smaller size , larger atv are NOT needed for 99% of anything you will do with one!, over priced and just wasted $$

the 2 acre plot and the atv used to do it ALL<I won the bets, but spent a LOT of hrs to do it LOL

the tractor I recommend and there likes
these OLDER tractors were made to WORK and last forever, NOT like the junk they sell today, with electronic's this and that, and the new one's just don't have the weight, this old 20 hp tractor will out weight most modern 50 hp compact 4x4 tractors
and on a tractor, weight is your friend