HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Eastern Coyotes vs Western Coyotes
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2016, 06:24 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Maybe you should try changing up tactics. I always ask myself, who, what, where, when, and why (then maybe how many). I try to figure out what they are doing and why.

I had my best luck calling early in the evening, early night, they are beginning the hunt and hungry.

I had my best luck ambush hunting early morning, after the hunt and they are heading back to the den. This time of year they likely have a den and pups to feed. They tend to head home in a fairly straight line.

There are no real rules, just tendencies. I've also caught them coming from the den in the early morning, best guess is because they had slim pickings the night before and are going out for a second hunt before it gets too hot. They likely have a family to feed. Never tried it, but calling and hour or so after sunrise might get one of those late hunters.

I'm not nearly as canny as I make myself out to be. I remember sitting in one spot on and off for a couple of weeks. I'd seen Yotes off in the distance to my left and heard them in the thickets to my right. Took me a couple of weeks to notice a narrow path right next to a barbed wire fence line overgrown with grass (maybe a couple of hundred yards off). That is how they were getting from my left to my right. Slapped forehead here and called myself a dumbass. The very next morning I set up on that path and popped an old Yote with no tail. I have no idea where his tail went, funny looking Yote.

Been my experience after a successful hunt and/or it gets to late to hunt (suns up) they often tend to make a bee line back to the Den in the late spring/early summer.

When they first start hunting in the early evening they tend to visit their favorite hunting hot spots first. Their travels seem erratic, but often predictable in a broad sort of way.

Like I said there are no real rules just tendencies, about the time you think you have it figured out, one will pop up real close coming from a completely unexpected direction.

About time now for the first Hay cut (depending on the rainfall). I've had really good luck setting up near a freshly cut field. Two reasons, the cut grass makes hunting Mice much easier for the Yotes and the mower kills a lot of Mice and saves all the work of hunting them. Cut grass makes a pretty good background for night hunting. full Moon right now.

Something else I've noticed is their Den is often close to a good food supply. I Mean real close like 50-100 yards from a field that often full of Rabbits or a Pond where the Ducks nest. They often use those Dens for generations.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 06-20-2016 at 06:34 AM.