HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 1 turknado
Thread: Team 1 turknado
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 04:08 PM
RIStrutStopper
Nontypical Buck

I've had seasons like that before Firelt. This season is turning into a special kind of frustrating. Had that same bird roosted again today. He was hammering for a long time before he flew down well into daylight. I saw him fly off to his left (my right) maybe 60 or 70 yards away. He went quiet, but I was persistent. I saw him moving thru the woods to my right and he ended up 35 yards away directly to my right. He was moving away and I clucked, got him to stop and gobble and he turned around. I lost him in the woods but he was moving towards my decoy. After a long wait (this bird moves slow and deliberate) I decided to move.

I set up on the field I was at on Saturday, but moved back a couple yards which was higher and allowed more of a view of the field. As soon as I clucked, I saw him enter the field from the opposite end and cut kitty corner behind my decoy. Lost him over a rise, but assumed he was still there. After a while with no movement, I sat tight, thinking about how this bird operates. Sure enough, I saw him stretch his wings. I kept at him, but after a good while I expected he was really gone. He was. This is getting personal. I'm pretty sure this is the 3rd or 4th time I had this bird in range, but only 1 shot opportunity that I botched by hesitating. I will get on him again before the season is over. I think I have about another week to go.

I did get out to the club on Sunday, no sign of life unless you count mosquitoes...