HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Have you seen similar?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 02:18 AM
Game Stalker
Nontypical Buck

Default Have you seen similar?

With posts and scores from successful turkey hunters and the spring turkey contest currently running, I went to the NWTF site and began to browse the records. In the overall scoring there, a number of 24 lb. birds are listed along w/ one weighing 27.5 lbs.
I remember a deer hunt a friend and myself were doing. We were both posted facing some woods and were about 80 yds apart. We heard what sounded like a deer coming to the edge of the wooded/thick brushy cover. To both our amazement, it wasn't a deer, but a very robust turkey, the size of which neither of us had seen before. Once the bird stepped from cover, it quickly looked left, right and began running forward between us. It ran perhaps 35 yds. and could barely attain flight due to its size/weight. Eventually it got airborn but wasn't able to attain much elevation. It flew across a road, barely missing a motorist. I don't even recall if the turkey could have legally been taken. What I'm wondering is what this turkey might have weighed, though all I can do is wonder. Has anyone here encountered turkey so heavy they could barely attain flight. I think this bird was a freak of nature and doubt I will encounter another like it. My memory of it is still quite vivid, even after 20 plus years . All responses greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 05-12-2016 at 03:01 AM.