HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 50x209 Encore and bullets
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2016, 08:34 AM
rickt300
Spike

Default 50x209 Encore and bullets

Well I got this barrel for my Encore. Nice barrel bought used but the bore is immaculate. Previous owner used BH209 exclusively and his favorite bullet was the 250 gr. Shockwave. He hunted deer only and said that bullet worked just fine. I couldn't find any BH209 locally (yet) and bought a pound of Shockey's Gold 3f loose powder. I bought CCI magnum primers because I was looking for the Blackhorn powder and will try them with the Gold 3f. Hopefully the mag primers are ok with it. Now with my inlines I usually pre measure my powder charges and put them in test tubes. With Pyrodex I measured by volume, with the Gold I want to use actual weight and measure with a scale. Where would this start? 80 grains? Bullets I have on hand are the Hornady Flex Tip in .430 and 265 grains, the Nosler 300 grain .429 HP, and the Nosler 300 gr MZ ballistic tip with supplied sabots. This year I will hunt deer and hogs in Oklahoma so can easily use 1500 fps to 1700 fps to get the job done. Of the three bullets which would be the best choice for under 100 yard deer hunting? Next year I am going to southern Colorado to hunt river bottom Whitetails and will probably use the Nosler MZ bullet pushed as fast as accuracy will allow. The sabots I have on hand are CVA Elite green style. They worked well in my older Firehawk and Pyrodex.