HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bushnell 3500 vs. Leupold VX3
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2016, 12:56 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I'm a guy who prefers magnification. If I'm shooting 600yrds at live game, I d@mn sure want to be able to see well enough the point at which I'm aiming to ensure I stop that "live" part real quick. I don't want to second guess my point of aim, I want to know I'm actually aiming exactly where I want to be aiming.

Comparing a 3.5-10x against a 4.5-14x, the difference in shot placement confidence at 14x vs. 10x is worth something to me, and the sacrifice at close ranges comparing 3.5x to 4.5x isn't a big hurdle.

Parallax error happens any time the focus of the image is not co-planar with the internal reticle, regardless of magnification. Increasing magnification shifts the focal position of the images within the scope, so it can exacerbate the error, but being set at 3x doesn't protect a shooter against parallax. If your scope is set for 100yrds and your target is at 600yrds, you CAN fall victim to parallax, no matter what mag setting.

As I've said above and many times before, the Leup 4.5-14x50mm is my "go-to" hunting scope, with planned shooting range from 0 to 800yrds. The scope isn't for the rifle, nor is it for some other shooter or wannabe gun guy on an online forum talking about shooting a 1-4x on his AR carbine to 600yrds. The scope is for the shooter. It's the control interface for point of aim. The scope lets the shooter see, it doesn't let the rifle shoot. For coyotes and whitetails, for me as the shooter, 4.5-14x lets me see well enough to let me be confident in my shot placement at the ranges I want to shoot. I have plenty of other scopes with different magnification ranges, but the 4.5-14x gives me the best versatility range for the type of hunting I choose to pursue.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 03-17-2016 at 01:04 PM.