HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Basic gear for deer hunting?
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2016, 11:57 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted in SE Alabama since 1974. Good advice already about club membership. That is about the best way to go here these days. GMA's are just OK .... usually very crowded during gun season. The issues with a club are going to be what you get for your $$$ and the personalities of the members. If at all possible, get in with folks you already know well and enjoy being around. And as I have found it to be, keep your expectations reasonable. Do not expect "deer haven" hunting in a club where 1something like 8-10 guys hunt 400-500 acres for a membership fee of $500 each. Good habitat with a high acres/member is not cheap these days. And figure in the cost of the set-up .... does it have a camp house or will you need something to stay in over night. Does is have a skinning shed, a decent internal road system, good food plots, etc. Can you use a truck on the property to get around or are there some restrictions? That sort of stuff can play into the overall cost for sure.

I would suggest you invest a few coins in decent binos. Not berating what anyone has already .... look at a middle of the road Vortex, Nikon, Leupold or something in that $200 price range as a minimum .... 8x40 is good enough.