HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - gun vises
Thread: gun vises
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 02:33 PM
muzzlestuffer
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Are you looking for action vises, or firearm holding fixture vises? In other words - a tool to remove a barrel, or a tool to hold it while you install a scope base?

I use wooden or delrin blocks on my action vices - which are just thick blocks of steel with clamping bolts between them. The Wheeler product is good and not a bad price considering the size of the bolts and the steel involved, AND the wooden bushings it comes with, but you can buy scrap steel at a surplus yard pretty cheap, and often find the bolts there too for cheap. I have a Wheeler now, but my first vise was a home brew out of some scrap steel. They both work exactly the same. The fit of the blocks is what seems to be critical, in my experience - the blocks from which the vise are made just need to be thick enough to not bend, otherwise, they're kinda irrelevant.

I use a Wilton "drill press" or "machinist" vise and a large bench vise to hold firearms very often (daily/weekly). I've made jaw pads for these out of leather. Nothing fancy, but these work. I use them to hold my AR mag blocks and upper blocks as well.
i'm looking for multiple vises one for holding gunstocks and one for holding barrels and metal parts usually two or three vises is the way to go . i'm looking at the parrott vise if your familiar ?