HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - gun vises
Thread: gun vises
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 01:27 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Are you looking for action vises, or firearm holding fixture vises? In other words - a tool to remove a barrel, or a tool to hold it while you install a scope base?

I use wooden or delrin blocks on my action vices - which are just thick blocks of steel with clamping bolts between them. The Wheeler product is good and not a bad price considering the size of the bolts and the steel involved, AND the wooden bushings it comes with, but you can buy scrap steel at a surplus yard pretty cheap, and often find the bolts there too for cheap. I have a Wheeler now, but my first vise was a home brew out of some scrap steel. They both work exactly the same. The fit of the blocks is what seems to be critical, in my experience - the blocks from which the vise are made just need to be thick enough to not bend, otherwise, they're kinda irrelevant.

I use a Wilton "drill press" or "machinist" vise and a large bench vise to hold firearms very often (daily/weekly). I've made jaw pads for these out of leather. Nothing fancy, but these work. I use them to hold my AR mag blocks and upper blocks as well.