HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ok, got the new used gun and here it is
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 04:02 PM
tealboy
Typical Buck

Default Ok, got the new used gun and here it is

Some of you have been following my previous post, something that evolved from selling inherited guns to buy my own new gun to a friend offering a 30-06 that he never used. I generally know what it was but without having it in my hands, some of it was guesswork.

Well, it arrived and it is a little less than I expected but still ok, I think. The gun is in fact a 30-06, it is a remington 700 and it is synthetic with a drop mag and a stainless barrel.

What it's not is, a higher end synthetic stock with the rubber inserts in the grips and the scope is not a vxiii but rather a zeiss conquest. All that is fine, but what surprised me most was, the barrel was not in great shape. It has very light surface rust in a number of places and looked slightly dirty, discolored. Apparently, it was stored in the Skb foam case and wasn't oiled so the humidity in Florida caused this condition.

I took it to the gun shop and they said based on condition and the fact that hunting season is almost over plus, they were pretty heavy one guns they would only pay $325. They suggested I keep it and use steel wool and oil to polish the barrel. Said the bore was in nice shape and the barrel could be cleaned up nicely. Said optics were in great shape.

All that said, I was offered the gun For a little more than that by my friend but he threw in the Skb single gun case for free. The small catch is, this gun has a trigger recall by remington and he can't find the keys for the Skb.

Can I get replacement keys from Skb? Also, what do you suggest re cleaning up the barrel? I have 600 grit wet dry sandpaper and suspect that, along with wd40 or oil is better than steel wool. Thoughts?

I think I did well on the gun but need to shoot it to be sure, that's the part that matters most.

Last edited by tealboy; 01-07-2016 at 02:07 AM.