HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buying new gun, need advice
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 03:30 PM
tealboy
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
If it's in as good a shape as you assume, then you shouldn't pass it up. To me, where the 06 stands above the .308, is the ability to handle the larger grain bullets. You were wanting something for larger critters and they just don't get much larger than Moose on this continent anyway. While the .308 can handle them as well as the 30/30 (killed a few with that one myself), the old 06 with a 200 grain pill will flat put the smack down on a Moose. There is a reason the 06 has been the top selling cartridge for a LOT of years. That reason is, it just flat out works.
Great, this is good to know, it is in fact creating versatility. Re condition, I know,it is like brand new. I sighted it in for him and picked out the gun, cartridge and scope six years ago when he bought it. Joined my lease, decided he didn't like hunting that much after all so dropped bc he never went. Gun has been under his bed ever since. He is getting it to me tomorrow. I will report back once I can confirm everything. I suppose there is a possibility that he didn't oil or clean it and it has become rusty but I don't think so. It has the ss barrel too, something I like. It is the BDL. Pic attached. This is before the scope was mounted. Did this gun have a recall for the bolt or something else?
Attached Images  

Last edited by tealboy; 01-04-2016 at 04:59 PM.