HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buying new gun, need advice
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 11:22 AM
tealboy
Typical Buck

Default Buying new gun, need advice

I sold a number of guns not used or wanted anymore and intend to use the proceeds to buy a new hunting rifle. I have a browning stainless stalker a-bolt 308 w a zeiss conquest 3-9x40 and a rem 700 243 cal. I like the idea of having similar calibers so I don't need a bunch of different ammo but I suppose that's not critical. In other words, I have a bias for owning another 308 since I have boxes and boxes of 308 already but don't want to limit myself.

What caliber do you suggest based on the above? 270 is prob my next choice but maybe I need something bigger. 85 percent of hunting is Florida deer" 5-10% Texas or ga deer and the other 5-10 percent would be if I ever travelled for elk, red stag or other bigger game. I have not travelled thus far but if I do, having a versatile caliber would be nice but I don't want anything bigger than necessary.

Re guns, I went to gander mountain and like the rem 700 sps stainless for $637 but open to other similar price point guns. Didn't love the tikka feel, or higher price. Have another zeiss conquest for this new gun

Thank you.