HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking to buy a new gun.
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2015, 07:08 AM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

And just who says I haven't tried it? Careful there pup. You forget I make dirt look young There aren't many cartridges I haven't used on deer and various other mammals. And you are right, I am in the "a bigger gun wont make up for poor shooting" group just as you are. BUT the fact is, inexperienced hunters should not be limited to poor cartridge selection that takes away half the optimal target solution away from him. And discovering that problem of "light in the ass" cartridges not CONSISTENTLY getting through a shoulder bone is not an acceptable practice. Just because you have the patience to wait for that half a window to get that tiny bullet through the vitals doesn't mean you should be recommending it for an inexperienced hunter and you know it. You just want to argue for minimal cartridge use for some reason. Just like you champion long range shooting for people that have no business attempting over 100 yard shots. You do know there is a difference between a poor shot and a lack of power resulting in a good shot gone bad right?

Choose a cartridge that has the power to bore through shoulder because not every deer will present you with that perfect leg extended "come hither" presentation. It's that simple. Not every state has a deer "infestation" like your state does RR (not to mention tiny deer ) (like I was going to resist that shot) so telling a newbie to use a .223 when there are SOOOOO many other BETTER choices is just flat out ridiculous when they may or may not be getting ONE shot at ONE deer the whole year.