HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do You Doubt The PRB?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2015, 06:25 PM
OldBob47
Banned

Default Which ones do you remember?

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Isn't that true for any round/gun? Just because you have a modern gun is no excuse to make a bad shot.

I already commented on this 50 pages back. I see more risky shots taken with big magnums than a hunter using a PRB. If anything a PRB shooter should be extra careful, because there's less room for error. It doesn't mean they don't work, but if they don't have the discipline to just take good shots. They shouldn't be using a PRB.

That's the bottom line, and you can't seem to see it. You seem to think if someone should fail with a PRB that nobody should use them. Couldn't you say that about any gun, and any bullet? One failure means failure for everybody?
Pete,

I remember my bad shots more clearly than my good ones. There haven't been all that many, but it really bites standing there wishing you could wind back the clock and pass on the shot. I could take you to the spot where I shot a woodchuck 30+ years ago. I was using a 270, and I could really shoot offhand then. Like, hit a Coke can every time at 100 yards. So I see the woodchuck, and took the shot. He drops down, and I start walking toward him. When I get close, I hear this wheezing. It turned out I had missed centering the head, and had shot off his nose. I quickly dispatched him, but as I recall, I never took another offhand shot like that. I was the very definition of hubris. I thought I was so good that I could never blow a shot.

And before someone says, "Oh, it was just a woodchuck" They all feel pain, the woodchucks and the deer and everything else. My arrogant confidence in my shooting ability caused this animal's last moments to be agony. That too is a correctable situation.

OldBob