HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bullet Failure
Thread: Bullet Failure
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 09:32 AM
ronlaughlin
Nontypical Buck

Default Bullet Failure

Personally, i have only had two bullets fail on hair.

First was a Nosler 260g Partition. When i shot, i was pretty sure the deer was hit, but it ran and ran, and ran, and i kinda lost it amongst the other running deer. After reloading i walked out there on the open prairie; never saw blood. After walking a long long ways, and sideways, i finally spotted the dead deer. Hit through both lungs with minimal damage it was.

A couple years later, i shot a deer with the 270g Deep Curl, which had always dropped deer quickly. That deer ran up hill a long long ways, and only left scattered blood spray on the snow. The deer was hit through both lungs, and the damage was a hole through, and through.

Both deer were shot at about 150 yard. Both bullets were pushed by 90g Blackhorn. Prior, i had always used at least 105g Blackhorn as a load, and sometimes 110g.

This past summer i took the time to test several different bullets. The test was carpet, plywood, water jugs, and a phone book stack placed at 25 yard to the carpet.

The bullet tests done last summer showed me why the two bullets failed to put those deer down. They were traveling too slow, is what the problem was.

Last summer when the testing began, the powder load was 50g Blackhorn. This produced failure after failure. The bullets were traveling too slow, and didn't work. The soft points went right through the test, and didn't expand. The hollow points plugged up, and didn't open. In order to get the bullets to work, the powder load was increased to 80g, and after, most all bullets performed quite well. It was found that there are many good bullets available to us shooters. One needs to be sure, and use enough powder, to get most bullets to work as designed.

The results were eye opening to me; i learned a lot about bullet performance. Until i did the testing, i was under the impression that the biggest problem with bullets was, some would blow up. What the testing showed me was, even though some bullets blew up, they still did a lot of damage. This agreed with what i have observed on deer. It isn't all bad for a bullet to separate some as it passes through lungs, and stuff. It is worse for killing, if the bullet doesn't expand, and just pencils through lungs, and stuff.

Bullets that failed to work when pushed by 50g of Blackhorn include the XTP, TEZ, Deep Curl, and Partition. Bullets that worked when pushed by only 50g of powder include the Bloodline, Controlled Fracturing, and the Monoflex. Most all bullets tested worked good, when the powder charge was 80g Blackhorn.

It seems parents designing loads for children, need to be very very careful with their choice of bullets. It seems to me, most of us worry about bullets being too fragile, when we should actually worry about bullets being too stout.