HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - nitride metal treatment
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2015, 11:10 AM
muzzlestuffer
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=WV Hunter;4232288]Beautiful rifles, looks like they did an awesome job! I really like the way they look

I wonder if the coatings are more for us than the rifles? What I mean...they look sweet when coated, and while they obviously they add a substantial protection factor....does a quality rifle actually "need" a coating for protection? I would say that in the vast majority of cases, No. I have alot of rifles, many that are old and have been used quite a bit. I've never had one that needed to be coated to be protected....basic care and cleaning has always done just fine... Center-fire or ML.

Not a put down on the coatings at all. And for ML rifles, I can see how it may actually be a great thing - considering how many people are lazy or stupid when it comes to cleaning their guns. It might save some guns that would have been toast in a hurry. I wonder how that Nitrade coating holds up to BP fouling.

Muley, do a field test and let us

Well I didn't need it on my .504 because I owned that rifle since new so it was in perfect condition I did that just for the looks but the .410 I got from somebody else and it had some rust on the outside only so after I restocked it to a safari and hunted this season with it I decided to have it nitride treated now I will take care of it properly and it will last for years !