HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - question for all members
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2015, 08:55 AM
Ridge Runner
Nontypical Buck

CI, here s my story, I'm sure I've posted it here before but here goes

I was 21 years old, had hunted for years, killed a lot of stuff, deer season 1981
saw a buck chasing does up on the hill above my grandma's farm, my rifle at that time was a Remington model 760 270 with a 4x redfield, I layed down, put the fat part of the crosshair on the deers spine and squeezed, he hit the ground flopping, my only thought was daaayum! I need tolearn how to do this on purpose.
I started buying more powerful flatter shooting rifles, got a 7 mag, then a 270 weatherby, I was stuck at 450 yards, this was before you could buy a mil-dot or BDC scope.
In 1996 I bought a turn key custom 7mmstw from mark bansner, while burning up that 600 dollar barrel I figured out if I sighted it in 2.6" high at 100 I was 19" low at 500 so shots got easier to 600 yards, but how could you get past that? in 1998 I finaly joined the computer age, I joined here and during a google search found a forum called long range hunting, that is where I got the most knowledge from, those guys are amazing, they told me what I needed, where to get it and how to use it, anyone who has doubts should join there, read and ask questions.
you need good shooting rifle with thecapacity to deliver the required energy at your maximum distance, a rangefinder to tell you how far to your target, and a drop chart adjusted to your load, a way to read atmospheric conditions and practice and more practice, I was as good as I will ever be in 2008, was hoping to take a deer at 1 mile but life got in the way, when my daughter was diagnosed with diabetes, the money I use to spend on shooting now buys her medicine I just do the best I can and try to help others who are interested in it
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 11-21-2015 at 09:05 AM.