HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help me figure out why I missed...
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2015, 02:20 PM
physicsguy
Spike

Default Help me figure out why I missed...

So far this year I have missed 2 deer with my crossbow

This year I had a 20 yds (horizontal distance) and a 25 yds shot at deer. Both were clean misses! I cannot say where they missed, but I found the bolt and there was no blood or sign whatsoever. I also looked around for a deer and any other signs but found nothing. I also couldn't find any obstructions in the way of the shot.

I have a lot of experience in a variety of shooting sports and I honestly don't think I jerked the trigger. It looked like I held the correct sight point on the target for the whole shot. I also have gotten deer the past two years with the same xbow

I am wondering if my crossbow could be to blame: it is a SA sports fever. Relatively speaking, it is VERY slow (200 fps chronographed) and VERY loud.

Could the deer be reacting to the noise and dodging the bolt? With that speed they have at least half a second to react.

Maybe I just got lucky on the first couple of deer that I got with it?

Maybe I need to buy a faster and quieter xbow. I was thinking of an excal grizzly.

Any ideas to help me figure out what went wrong would be appreciated. I am still hunting for the remainder of the season and don't want to continue to waste opportunities.