HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Excellent Way to Cook That Tough Old Goose
Old 10-26-2015, 05:19 AM
dubob
Spike

Default Another option

This option absolutely guarantees the meat will be as tender as a mother's love. Using breast meat only, slice breast in half length wise. Then slice each half into 3 more or less equal chunks to produce 6 chunks from each breast. Smoke the chunks in any smoker for 2 hours without brining them first. Place the smoked chunks in canning jars (I use pint & half pint jars) and pressure can them in accordance with your pressure canner instructions for your given altitude. I do not add anything else to the jars such as spices or sauces; just smoked meat.

The canned goose will last indefinitely without refrigerating or freezing as long as you have a proper seal on the lids. The meat can be used in many different ways. Two of my favorites are to shred the meat right out of the jar and place on a bun along with BBQ sauce, wrap in a paper towel, and microwave it for 30 seconds on high. The other way is to shred it and use it as the meat in an omelette.

I haven't done it yet, but using it as the meat for SOS would also be great. Nobody will ever know it is goose meat from the taste of it unless you tell them but they will all agree it is very good to excellent.

Bon Appetite!