HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Taurus "The Judge" poly
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 07:29 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

You'll have to buy the right ammo for the Judge. Standard .410 shells aren't charged properly for such a short barrel, so power at the business end is pathetic. With the right loads, it's a reasonable choice for a nightstand gun or snake smoker, as the spreads at 20ft are just right for what a guy needs - big enough to hit the target in a hurry without precision aiming, but small enough to effectively kill what you hit.

I have one in magnum, and my MIL has a standard. If a buyer has the right expectations, it's a reasonable purchase. The .45colt and .454c aren't the most accurate, but at normal ranges where any short barreled revolver would be effective, it's plenty accurate. But I didn't buy mine to shoot 454 or 45. They're not completely useless for accuracy - 4" at 50yrds is pretty typical for mine, but I don't try for precision very often. They aren't in the same class as a standard length cylinder model.

If it's a nightstand gun or otherwise defensive gun, then a proper action job, lengthened throat, and night sights and it'll do what it needs to do. It won't be concealable, but for a nightstand guns, I can think of worse choices.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 10-24-2015 at 09:08 AM.