HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - shooting down at an angle
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 02:56 PM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by coongitter
I have thought about it alot, and based what I have read and theorized.....When shooting at a down angle your arrow will hit high. This is due to a few things:
The distance from the base of the tree to the target will always be shorter than the distance from the shooter to the target. This is with the assumption that the shooter is in a tree stand approx. 15 feet high.

Another reason is that the force of gravity pulling down on the arrow is reduced due to the angle. (An arrow shot level has full effect of gravity acting on it, where an arrow shot down at a 45 degree angle has half the effect of gravity pulling it down). I think i said that right.....

If I am thinking about this wrong please correct me, its giving me a headache

My question is, how much "high" will my arrow hit? Do i need to aim one inch low or three inches? I am shooting 31" terminator 6075 arrows with 100 grain broadheads, and my bow is set at 60-65lbs. I will be probably 15 feet high and my deer will be between 15 and 30 yards away.
You're right and wrong. Right in the fact that your horizontal distance is shorter than the distance from your eye to the target. Wrong in the fact that gravity is reduced.
Using my Leupold range finder I went outside and took a level reading on a pole @ 30 yards. When I hit an estimated 15 ft above level I got a reading of 31 yards. So unless you're shooting at a severe angle or an extreme distance your +/- is pretty much insignificant. Hold right on with the correct pin and concentrate on your shot. You'll be dragging a deer out shortly after.