HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Crossbow or Compound?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2015, 06:12 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by DIY_guy
Stick with bowhunting. Its more challenging and satisfying and rewarding. Crossbowing (or whatever those guys call what it is they do) means you have to bring less of yourself to the task if taking game. Dont be a quitter, Stick with bowhunting. THere is always time to quit bowhunting and take up the other thing when you get old and can't use a real bow.
That's a pretty arrogant statement. About as arrogant as what a traditional shooter says to a compound bow shooter. We as hunters need to stick together and not argue about what we use. There are several reasons why a person should get a crossbow over a compound bow or a traditional bow. Being a quitter is not one of them. One is age or the physical inability to draw and hold the bow. Another is the lack of time to practice. I personally would rather see someone hunting who sighted in their crossbow and able to make clean kill rather than flinging arrows and wounding an animal.
I have several compounds and that's what I use for hunting and have taken a lot of game with them and I can shoot them as good or better than a crossbow out to 50 yards or so. I also bought compounds for my grandchildren and daughter-in-law. But because my state requires a 35# draw weight and my grandchildren cannot yet draw that weight I purchased a crossbow for them to use under the youth mentoring program. I'll get them out and hopefully interested in taking up hunting at an early age instead of them sitting on their butts playing video games.

Last edited by bronko22000; 08-27-2015 at 06:15 AM.