HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Crossbow or Compound?
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 04:17 AM
LittleChief
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I would go with a good compound bow, but it's really personal preference.

Like newton29, I hunted with a crossbow for a short time. It was after I had shoulder surgery in 2007, and I can tell you from experience that there is no real advantage to shooting a crossbow, despite what people who hate them say.

Their effective range is no better than (and probably less than) a compound bow in the hands of a proficient shooter.

They're heavy; They're bulky; They're cumbersome and awkward in the stand;
They're loud on the shot so if you whiff the shot chances are everything around you is headed for the next county.

I know a lot of folks will say that it's cheating because you don't have to draw. I really don't get it. I've been picked off moving and sitting still. I've been winded and blown at so many times, but I have NEVER been busted drawing my bow. I have, on the other hand, been busted trying to turn around with that big honkin' crossbow.

The bottom line? Just get what you want to get, hunt the way you want to hunt and forget about other folks opinions on how you hunt. They're not sitting in the tree with you anyway, and it's your hunt.