HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Crossbow or Compound?
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 05:26 PM
DIY_guy
Typical Buck

Depends on if you want to be a bowhunter or if you want to be whatever the crossbow users call what it is they do. You no doubt enjoy bowhunting for the challenges it offers by using human powered gear that relies more on the man and his ability than the stored energy weapons that you shoulder, lower your cheek to the stock, grab the fore-stock, flip off the safety, put your finger in the trigger guard, look through the scope and then discharge the weapon feeling the recoil in your shoulder.

As for me, I would rather be a bowhunter because a bowhunter has to get away with the draw and hold with only the human power you can muster. If you have to let down because the shot is not there you have more noise and motion and then you have to draw again (now a bit fatigued from the first draw) and go through the draw cycle and hold with a real, human powered bow. That sort of challenge is what makes bowhunting what it is. Why take up crossbowing when bowhunting is there for the taking? (unless you cant use a real bow doe to physical limitations due to injury or age that keep you from bowhunting)

If you want a physical challenge of strength and form and a human powered weapon that relies more on the man than the weapon, get a real bow. If you want to do less and have the weapon do more for you and be pre-loaded/cocked and sight in once and forget about it get an xbow. For my tastes, I would rather be a bowhunter. I cant imagine walking away from and quitting bowhunting to become a crossbower.

Last edited by DIY_guy; 08-26-2015 at 02:39 AM.