HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buying One Rifle 30-30 or 45-70 Please Help Me Decide/Handicapped Hunter
Old 08-22-2015, 02:51 PM
Phattwoohie
Spike

I appreciate both responses so far, lots of detailed info, which is what I was hoping for. I want to thank you for taking the time to write it out. I'm also curious about the mentioned 44 mag, as my father owns a 44 lever action he never uses. I don't know the model I can find out tonight but he's had it since I was a kid and I'm 40 now. In all those years he only took it out maybe twice to hunt with. He is a dead set 30.06 man and a bow hunter.

I might could talk him out of the 44 mag, it's in superb condition, like I said he never shot it much at all. I ain't trying to save money, but I never considered the .44 for hunting cause I guess I never saw dad use it. Plus I don't see it mentioned too much in hunter forums unless someone is talking about using a revolver chambered in it for deer.

I'd be curious as to your thoughts as to why that caliber is good or anyone else as well. I might have to go look up some ballistic charts and do some research. Does the bullet drop much out to 150 yards or so? I'm just imagining where I'll be hunting if a deer walks out it will probably be less than 150, and likely less than 100 yards.