HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mechanical or fixed
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 08:15 AM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by maytom
Switched from a 3 bladed Rage to a 2 bladed Rage. Guess the 3 bladed heads are Illegal here in NY.
Figured I would head this off at the pass before it jumped into a big debate.

The Rage 3 blade has a tendency to "hang up" after being deployed into an animal. The way they operate, on a slide rather than a pivot point, they SOMETIMES, not all the time, will lock open which NY state considers that to be a "Barbed" or "hooked" point. Now, this was 3 or 4 years ago when this issue became a pretty hot debate among hunters in NY state that really liked the Rage 3. Since the design is for them to retract, and they do just not consistently, many feel they should not be illegal. NY State disagrees. Honestly, I don't use mechanicals anymore but back when I did, I did have a couple lock open after penetrating rib bone. A couple of the blades got a little bent. These were the popular Rocket Steelhead BH's 100 grain. So my opinion on NY's ruling is if they disallow the Rage 3 then they should disallow ALL mechanicals because any one of them could get locked open.

As far as what I use, and have been using since around 2000-2001, is the G5 Montec on my hard and fast compounds and the Slick Trick standard or magnum (depending on the bow) on my Traditionals and my slower bows. Thinking seriously about switching to the Viper Trick on my traditionals as that is a mean looking cut on impact design.