HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mechanical or fixed
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2015, 05:46 PM
cjclemens
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I've used the Magnus Stinger and Buzzcuts for many years and harvested quite a few deer with them. I liked the lifetime guarantee with them but the reason I switched is they are not as strong as the Slick Trick Viper Tricks I am now using in my lighter poundage bow. In my heavier bow I use Rage Hypodermics for deer size critters. Blood trails are excellent and death is quick. The big cut is a plus too should I ever make a less than ideal shot which is bound to happen sooner or later but which I don't ever want.
I've never managed to bend a Stinger. I suppose you could curl the tip on one, if you shot directly into shoulder bone or if your arrow hit a rock after making a pass-thru, but that's what makes the warranty on Magnus broadheads so great. Slick Trick does make great heads, though. I've played around with some ST Mags, for the fun of it. They flew great, but I never did switch because my Stingers have yet to let me down. The Viper Tricks look pretty sweet - they look to be about as close as you can get to a cut on contact and still have a full length ferrule. If I ever did switch from Magnus, It would probably be for some kind of Slick Trick.

I do like the ferrule they used on the Rage Hypo's, but I'm not a huge fan of the blade angle. If they'd made the ferrule a little longer and swept the blades back a little more (or just made it 1 3/4" cut) I'd probably be more interested. I do have some of the new SS heads, but I'll probably end up using the same old Stingers I used last year.