HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Worried About My 7 mm Mag Lethality
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 07:09 AM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
That must be it. I've had a few actually flinch real good with a complete pass through with scary sharp broadhead, and then go right back to eating, only to start wobbling and fall over a few seconds later. An alert deer does seem to go further than 1 not alarmed. I've learned to read body language before shooting. I've noticed something else too-am I the only that's firmly convinced that a deer that was scared/excited don't taste as good as 1 that wasn't run hard? That's 1 reason I'd never shoot 1 that was ran from beaters on a drive or chased by dogs.
That is because a buildup of Lactic Acid Bear. A relaxed animal has very little, if any, built up in it's muscle tissue. Lactic Acid is what that "gamey" taste is. It's why soaking it in milk helps relieve that taste. The milk neutralizes the acid. It's also partly why rutted up Bucks taste "gamey" as hell too. No matter if they were dead right there or not. They have a Lactic Acid buildup most all the time during the rut. Not to mention all the other "glandular action" going on.