HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ruger 77 17.
Thread: Ruger 77 17.
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2015, 09:34 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

The best price I can find on the Ruger 77/17WSM is $775, which isn't a bad price for what it is - a converted centerfire design with a centerfire feel. It's really like comparing apples and oranges to compare the Savage B-mag to the Ruger, but if we're talking about a reliable rifle that delivers accuracy for its purpose, then the B-mag is the better investment.

The Ruger trigger is always a disadvantage, but they're serviceable.

Alternatively, the Savage B-Mag, a dedicated 17WSM action, is about half the price. The new heavy stainless and laminate model can be had for $475, the synthetic heavy stainless $350.

Mine started as a heavy stainless synthetic - sticker price $350, but I bought it during a Cabelas Member event for 15% off = $300 - but I used card points, so as far as my pocket book is concerned, it was FREE! Then I sunk it into a boyd's thumbhole stock, custom color = $115, but I got it during a 10% off promotion with free shipping, so I got it under $100. Slapped a set of Leupold Rifleman rings for $20 and a Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x40mm on top = normally $300, but on clearance at $150. So my total cost into the rig for RETAIL price would have been just under $800. Factoring the sale prices, it was only $575.

My out of pocket for my B-Mag was $275.

Cabelas near me has had a steady supply of both the 25 and 20grn loads. In the synthetic stock, it was just under 1MOA with the 25grn pills at 100yrds. I'm still devising a blocking plan for how to bed it properly.

I had a 77/22mag, they're great rifles, just very pricey for a rimfire. In times when 22wmr rounds are available, it's nice to get to practice with a cheaper, low recoil version of my hunting rifles, but that advantage isn't worth 2x price to me.