HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ruger 77 17.
Thread: Ruger 77 17.
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2015, 07:26 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Default Wrong 17...

Not to interject objectionably fellas, but this one isn't about the 17HMR, it's the new Win Super Magnum rimfire - 17WSM.

The price tag on the Ruger 77/17 Mag is a bit steep, but you're getting a lot more rifle than the Savage B-mag. Is that worth the price difference to you? That's up to the individual.

I don't have the Ruger, but I do have a B-Mag, and I'm actually very fond of it. I'm still working out the kinks for my plan to block and bed it effectively (holy crap this fire control group is massive!!!) but I really enjoy the rifle, and moreso the cartridge.

Most folks are aware of my affinity for Ruger's, so it shouldn't be surprising that I'd love to have one. But, since I own a B-Mag and the Ruger is almost twice the price, I won't be adding one for a couple years at least, if ever.

The 17WSM, so far, has lived up to my expectation. I have had a 17rem in the past, and have a couple of 17HMR's, and the WSM splits that gap. Absolutely more powerful than the HMR, noticeably on game especially. I haven't been able to call a coyote in front of mine yet, but I'm confident in it as a 150yrd coyote rifle, nearly double what I'll trust the 17HMR. Maybe farther, but we'll see.

From the specimens I have seen and the results from shooters that I trust that have them, I'd recommend the Ruger 77/17wsm highly - but not everybody is in the market for a rimfire rifle that costs as much as a midgrade centerfire.