HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Black Hills ammo?
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 06:18 PM
SimonKenton
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Ammo factories come up with seating depths by shooting rifles from different makers and coming up with one depth that gets best all around by average. It's why some factory rifles like Winchester fac. ammo while others like Fed. and so on and so forth. It goes by whatever rifles they tested it with. I've got quite a few rifles of the same cartridge that each and every one of them like a different load as well as seating depth. Got a matched pair of old Colt .45's with following serial numbers that won't shoot the same loading worth a damn. No ammo maker could live up to the claim that every rifle will like their brand. It's impossible to do. And back in the "old musty days" rifles could be, and a lot of times were, made with closer tolerances than they are today. Hand crafted, closely inspected, and top shelf quality control has went the way of the Greek Gods. Simply a myth anymore.
True dat, but this .243 loves the factory 70gr Ballistic tip in Federal V-Max and sort of like the 85 grain factory loaded Barnes TSX but only tolerates the standard 100 gr flat base loads and does not like the Sierra boat tail 100s from Federal. I'm tweaking loads now to find what it really likes. I have seen groups from a .243 at 100yd of .32" and that's the neighborhood I want to be in.