HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - For the guys in TX
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 11:43 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Kachok
If you want to see big deer in TX you have to go out west, the mulies get very large.
I can go home to CO and see big mulies easier than going to west TX. I've got an old, old family friend that owns 10,000 acres in Yuma County in eastern CO and it is crawling with big whitetails and big mulies. For what they want to hunt mulies in TX it is cheaper to go home too. I'm retired military so I'll mainly hunt on Ft Hood and a couple of ranches I've been invited on. I mostly meat hunt these days so a couple does and a hog are all I need.

I lived in Pensacola for 4 years and hunted along the Perdido River on the FL side. I took a couple of bucks every year but few of them would go over 125 lbs live weight. Biggest FL deer I saw was a 6 pt my father shot that weighed 155 lbs undressed.

Contrast that to the biggest mule deer I ever saw which was killed by my grandfather when I was 9. That buck had 6 pts on one side and 4 on the other with a 42 inch spread. Field dressed it went slightly over 300 lbs on a stock scale.