HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 06:02 PM
camokenny
Fork Horn

Congrates to all that have harvested a bird since I have been on.
I have purposely stay quite for a while cause I have been after a big old bird that a buddy turned me on to.
Well this morning it all came together and the bid ole boy is down.
It all started last weekend, sat morning we spotted him and two other longbeards in a field that my buddy has permission to hunt. Problem was they had hens. Tried him that morning only to have another hunter on adjoining property step out in to our field after crossing the fence. Turkeys left the field and not in my direction. Didn't get out for a evening hunt but made plans for Sunday morning. My buddy thought that they were roosting on the other corner of the field so we went there and setup only to have them come out across the field from us. However it almost worked as they seen my strutting decoy and ran all the way to me only to hang up at 50 yards, yes within killing range of my gun but just behind some tall grass and I did not want to risk it and they walked back to their hens. Round two over. Sunday evening found us back on the roost side of the field with him and his buddies and girlfriends feeding closer by the minute when out of no where a coyote came busting thru the middle of the flock. Round three over. Gave him a break on Monday. With clear and cool weather this morning we got setup early. When he gobbled the first time he was about 50 yards behind us on the limb, I waited till he hit the ground before calling to him, he would answer but with hens still on the limb he would not leave the woods without them. Suddenly there was a hen in my decoy setup, she went thru them and went right to the gobbler behind us.
Then turned and came right back out with ole mack daddy in tow. At 35 yards I ended the game.

Iowa, 5-12-15, 6:40 am.
Eastern. Shotgun
21 lbs 7 oz.
Beard #1 11 1/2"
Beard #2 7 1/2".
Right spur 1 7/16"
Left spur 1 5/16"
A upgrade for me.
Headed across the river in the morning to get a quick hunt in over in neb. I will be going out to western neb next weekend to finish off my neb tags or tag and to finish my season for 2015.