HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best animal to start with for a new hunter? (Nor Cal)
Old 05-10-2015, 04:20 PM
Jay lance
Spike

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Small game and birds are a good way to start hunting. Some people only hunt those and never get into big game. If you get into turkey hunting, it's very addictive and lots of fun.
I realize this Is ill advised for a new shooter from a financial standpoint, and I will most likely not go this route, but in theory if I wanted to skip the 22lr altogether, would there be a rifle that could be used for turkey hunts and at the same time also be used on small game like rabbits and even squirrels without ruining them?

I'm pretty sure there isn't something that fits this niche, which is why I'm leaning toward a shotgun that way I can hunt everything I mentioned aswell as birds (turkey's included) and just way more game in general, the huge downside being that I won't have a rifle to practice my marksmanship... I'd get a 22lr like everyone is saying but I'd be stuck eating only squirrels and rabbits because the caliber so small and I'm in a real tight budget so I can only afford one or the other right now.

and yeah, I've yet to take the hunter safety course. Hopefully I can link up with someone there.

Last edited by Jay lance; 05-10-2015 at 04:40 PM.