HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 3 Sons of Fanarchy
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 08:35 PM
BIG DONNIE BRASCO
Fork Horn

So the specifics:

Got to this new p[piece of ground at 5:00am, and moved to a central location... it was POURING rain all night and STILL raining, and I don't use a blind.
after slogging around the edge of this muddy field I found a place on the edge to have a seat against a locust tree.
once daybreak crept in I only heard a few weak gobbles and not too close. after an hour or so I got antsy and low crawled toward the field to see if I had any visitors at all.
well about 75 yards to my right I saw a few hens and some strutters.

let me insert here - _ I was given permission the hunt here because the landowner AND several coworkers of his could not seal the deal on these birds and they thought I was doomed as well.

These birds have been called to for DAYS on end and seen every decoy you can imagine... worse than public ground on opening week.

I used no decoys, and only called VERY sparingly! and even then I limited it to purrs, and some soft contented yelps. the birds that I was watching moved off at 75 yards and disappeared. then more hens from the same area, and a few more strutters.... only to disappear over the same ridge........

THEN......... I catch a glimpse of something RED through the foliage... it's a mature Tom, with a WHITE head and RED waddles!!... no... TWO Toms!

These are the smart Toms that everyone had been chasing.... hanging WAY back and being the last to enter the field.

they moved out to about 70 yards and just strutted like mad!, TWO HOURS go by and they never get any closer... then I start "talking" with the hens they are with, and those hens begin to work my way... you know the feeling... when the birds are coming in and your heart starts to THUMP!

well, a few short minutes later and I need to decide which Tom to take at 40 yards.

the one in the rear drew the short straw....
Eastern
Kansas
Shotgun
23.3 pounds
beard 11.2"
Right Spur - 1.5/8
Left Spur - 1.5

Muddy MESS!!!!

Great hunt and they really tested my resolve!
Attached Images    

Last edited by BIG DONNIE BRASCO; 05-08-2015 at 08:47 PM.