HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone used a tail fan to walk up on turkeys?
Old 04-19-2015, 08:42 PM
bald9eagle
Typical Buck

Excellent point. Like I said, I wouldn't dare try it in timber and I don't even like using decoys in timber.

I also think that there are different psychological nuances from one place to the next. If you have a shorter season it might make you take more chances or be a little more reckless. I think that in Alabama, with our liberal limits and lengthy season, that we approach it different. Guys up North with shorter seasons might see a greater amount of pressure during the full season. In Alabama we can start hunting March 15. We don't push ourselves to "Get it done" as hard because we have 45/46 days. By mid April only the real hard core turkey hunters are in the woods. Most guys are crappie fishing by then.

I've hunted public land for 23 years. In that time I've had 3 guys walk in on me and 3 times I've walked in on someone. Only twice did I actually see the guy. The other times we were able to communicate by using three distinct yelps or by making some other turkey-ish sound that both alerted the other guy and preserved the hunt. If I hear a guy coming in and his calling is obvious I will either go to a box call (distinct sound), give him three oddly spaced yelps, do a quail whistle, or blow lightly on an owl hooter. Both times I did that I alerted them to my presence while not spooking the bird. The two times I walked in on someone working a bird and I realized it I backed out and when away from them gave them a yelp to let them know I was out of the area.